Friday, August 7, 2009

Voice of a Generation: John Hughes




I was born right at the cusp of Gen X and Y, so although I don't necessarily fall into the 80's generation, I certainly consider myself an 80's kid even if I didn't "come of age" during this sartorially influential period.
I credit John Hughes' films for showing me how to avoid looking uncool. It seriously prepared me for high school. The significance of his film to my youth is insurmountable as I grew up struggling with my own identity in a community of first generation immigrants. Growing up, I wasn't privy to fashion magazines or even had access to them other than quickly perusing the pages of Cosmopolitan at the check out aisle. Fortunately, television was something I did have full access to and the easiest way for me to connect to other cultures outside my own. The prevalent social class issues exhibited throughout his films resonated the most with me. It seemed my own high school far away from the world of Hollywood wasn't immune to the same underlying issues in a lot of his films.
It was teenage angst, to think for ourselves, to live and love without restrictions...
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” — Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick)

No comments:

Post a Comment